Nikon Z5 Mirrorless with 24-50mm Lens and FTZ Adapter
24.3MP FX-Format CMOS Sensor
UHD 4K and Full HD Video Recording
5-Axis Sensor-Shift Vibration Reduction
ISO 100-51200, Up to 4.5 fps Shooting
Built-In Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
Price on Trade-in
Dual SD UHS-II Card Slots
Nikon Z 5 Overview
Compact and capable, the Nikon Z5 mirrorless is an FX-format mirrorless camera with a well-rounded feature-set to suit both photo and video needs. Its 24.3MP CMOS sensor and EXPEED 6 processor afford wide sensitivity to ISO 51200, quick shooting at 4.5 fps, and UHD 4K video at 30 fps.
[expand title=”Read More”]
The imaging capabilities further translate to a refined autofocus system with 273 selectable points, and is a hybrid focusing system that uses both phase-detection and contrast-detection methods for high-speed, accurate focusing with adept subject tracking. Face Detection can be used in both stills and video modes while the more precise Eye Detection benefits portrait photographers working with either human or animal subjects.
Complementing the sensor and processor of the Nikon Z5 is a sleek but versatile physical design that includes a magnesium alloy chassis with a weather-sealed construction to suit working in inclement weather. A high-resolution 3.6m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder allows for high-res eye-level viewing while a rear 3.2″ 1.04m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD accommodates working from high and low angles. Additionally, for easy sharing, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work in conjunction with the Nikon SnapBridge app for wirelessly transferring photos and videos and remotely controlling the camera from your mobile device.
24.3MP FX-Format CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 6 Image Processor
The full-frame, FX-format 24.3MP CMOS sensor is paired with an EXPEED 6 image processor to provide a versatile mixture of high sensitivity, nuanced image quality, and fast overall performance. A native sensitivity range from ISO 100-51200 permits working in a broad array of lighting conditions and can be further expanded up to ISO 102400 for extreme low-light conditions. The mixture of resolution and sensor size also contributes to clean image quality and smooth color transitions with reduced noise throughout the sensitivity range. In addition to benefitting image quality, the EXPEED 6 processor also affords useful speed throughout the camera system, including a top full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 4.5 fps as well as the ability to take 8MP when recording video.
Besides imaging, the sensor’s design also incorporates a 273-point hybrid autofocus system that uses both phase-detection and contrast-detection methods to quickly and accurately acquire focus for both stills and video applications. This focusing system supports Eye Detection AF, which uses facial recognition to help lock focus onto subjects’ eyes, along with Face Detection for both stills and video and for both humans and animals.
UHD 4K Video Recording
Capable of recording more than just stills, the Nikon Z5 supports UHD 4K video recording at up to 30 fps and Full HD recording at up to 60 fps, with the ability to save movie files to the in-camera memory cards or to an optional external recorder via HDMI out. UHD 4K recording uses a 1.7x crop of the center portion of the frame while Full HD recording uses the entire full frame. Additionally, in-camera time-lapse shooting is also possible with the ability to produce a finished UHD 4K video file directly from the camera.
Sensor-Shift Vibration Reduction
Built-in to the body is a 5-axis sensor-shift Vibration Reduction (VR) mechanism that compensates for up to five stops of stabilization regardless of the lens in use. This system also works with adapted lenses, when using the optional FTZ Adapter, where 3-axis stabilization is used. Also, benefitting video recording, Electronic VR is available to help steady footage to suit handheld shooting.
Body Design and Connectivity
- A large 3.2″ 1.04m-dot LCD screen is available for bright, clear, and vivid image playback and live view shooting. The screen has a tilting design to suit working from high and low angles and it is also a touchscreen for more intuitive operation, navigation, and settings control.
- A 3.69m-dot electronic finder is present for comfortable eye-level viewing.
- Dual SD memory cards slots both support up to the UHS-II protocol for high-speed and efficient photo and video file saving.
- A robust magnesium alloy chassis is both dust- and weather-resistant to benefit working in harsh climates and inclement conditions.
- Built-in SnapBridge connectivity to enable seamless transfer of low-resolution imagery as well as remote shooting capabilities. BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and Wi-Fi enables communication between the camera and a smart device and, additionally, the mobile device can remotely trigger the shutter and display a live view image from the camera to enable working from a distance.
- Included EN-EL15c rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 470 shots per charge, and in-camera charging is supported via USB, even when the camera is in use. Additionally, it is also compatible with optional MB-N10 multi-battery power pack for extended shooting times.
Other Camera Features
- Creative Picture Controls: Dream, Morning, Pop, Sunday, Somber, Dramatic, Silence, Bleached, Melancholic, Pure, Denim, Toy, Sepia, Blue, Red, Pink, Charcoal, Graphite, Binary, and Carbon.
- Multiple Exposure mode lets you combine several exposures into one frame for creative effects.
- Focus Shift mode automatically takes a series of up to 300 sequential images while advancing the focus position in each shot. These images can then be stacked into a single image with extended depth of field, making it ideal for close-up shooting of smaller objects as well as for landscapes and other still subjects.
- Language support: English, French, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish.
NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3 Lens
Included with the camera body is the NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3 lens; a compact standard zoom covering wide-angle to normal focal lengths. Its retractable design helps to achieve the slim form factor that is suitable to walkaround and travel shooting applications. A stepping motor provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override to suit both stills and video applications. Also, a programmable control ring can be set for intuitive adjustment over a variety of camera and exposure settings.
Nikon FTZ Adapter
Enabling the use of nearly any Nikon F-mount lens on Z-mount mirrorless camera bodies, the FTZ Mount Adapter is a sophisticated means for expanding the range of usable lenses. While compatible with approximately 360 distinct F-mount lenses, this adapter is especially ideal for use with over 90 E, and G-type lenses, where it fully maintains autofocus and auto-exposure capabilities for seamless use of the SLR lenses on the mirrorless body. The adapter fully maintains auto-exposure function for D-type lenses, but autofocus is not supported. The adapter is built from magnesium alloy and is weather-sealed, and also incorporates a 1/4″-20 mount on the base to provide a more balanced means for working on a tripod with longer, heavier lenses.
NOTE: Autofocus not supported on D-Series lenses.
You might be interested in the Nikon Z6 Mirrorless