Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM II Overview
Wide-Angle Versatility for Stills & Video
Combining G Master performance with the lightest and smallest form factor in its class, Sony rounds out its trinity of f/2.8 G Master zoom lenses with its latest wide-angle offering for video and stills shooters, the Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM II Lens, which boasts a variety of optical, focusing, and handling upgrades.
G Master Image Quality
Designed to rival the primes, this zoom’s optics have been revamped to provide even greater resolution, clarity, and bokeh quality.
- Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM II Lens has a Bright f/2.8 constant aperture allows users to capture images in dim lighting conditions and with a shallow depth of field.
- Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM II Lens One Super ED (extra-low dispersion) and Two ED elements effectively suppress chromatic aberrations and color fringing for greater clarity and color fidelity.
- Five aspherical elements, including three extreme aspherical elements (XA), minimize spherical aberrations, distortion, and also reduce ‘onion ring’ bokeh.
Faster AF and Floating Focus Mechanism
Faster focusing performance, improved close-up shooting, and enhanced control are all benefits of the redesigned focusing system.
- Four XD (extreme dynamic) linear motors contribute to greatly improved focusing performance, compared to the DDSSM system of the predecessor, including faster, quieter, and more precise AF that’s ideal for both video and stills.
- Faster AF means improved focusing when working with fast-moving subjects; support is available for shooting at up to 30 fps, full AF is maintained even when shooting stopped down, and focus tracking is possible even when changing the zoom position.
- Floating focusing mechanism helps maintain image quality throughout the focusing range, which is especially important considering the impressive close-up performance of this lens: minimum focusing distance of 8.6″ and a maximum magnification of 0.32x across the entire zoom range.
- Internal focusing design promotes snappier, more responsive focusing performance and maintains the same center of gravity during lens extension and retraction.
Improved Control and Video Capabilities
Just as camera design has grown to appeal to both photo and video shooters, this lens has also been updated with a series and attributes that specifically appeal to video shooters’ needs.
- Focus breathing, focus shift, and axial shift during zooming have all been minimized to prevent unwanted movements and angle of view variations for greater compositional accuracy during recording.
- Supports the Breathing Compensation function in select cine-line and Alpha cameras Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM II Lens
- Linear Response MF provides natural, intuitive manual focus control.
- Manual aperture ring can be de-clicked for silent operation and the zoom smoothness can be adjusted depending on the desired torque Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM II Lens
Compact, Lightweight, and Robust Design
The smallest and lightest f/2.8 wide-angle zoom in its class, this lens doesn’t lose sight of its professional attributes and remains a weather-sealed, durable lens for use in trying working conditions Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM II Lens
- Approximately 20% lighter and 10% smaller than its predecessor, this zoom is a highly portable and versatile option for a huge variety of shooting applications.
- Now fit with a manual aperture ring, tactile exposure control is possible. This ring can be de-clicked for smooth and silent iris pulls or it can be locked in the ‘A’ position for camera-based aperture switching.
- Two programmable focus hold buttons and a focus mode switch for intuitive focus control.
- Hybrid construction uses both metal and plastic components to maximize both durability and a low weight design.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant design includes rubber gaskets at each seam and a rubber ring sealing the lens mount for ensured use when working in inclement weather conditions.
- Front lens element has a fluorine coating that repels water, oil, and other contaminants and makes the lens easier to clean.
- Included lens hood has been redesigned to complement the lens’ sleek design by reducing both its diameter and length.