Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS
Targeting amateur, enthusiast, and professional nature, aircraft, railroad, and sports shooters, the Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens will satisfy many photographers and videographers who are looking for a bit of extra reach with their full-frame E-mount camera. As a member of the G line, it is designed for outstanding resolution and sharpness with minimal aberrations, something assisted by the implementation of five ED elements and one aspherical element, plus Nano AR and fluorine coatings. It also features a relatively compact size through the use of an f/5.6-6.3 maximum aperture range, and it is equipped with both a Direct Drive SSM autofocus system and Optical SteadyShot image stabilization for performance at all focal lengths.
This lens features numerous other settings and controls for making operation smooth and intuitive for a variety of shooting styles. This includes a zoom torque adjustment ring that lets users dial in the stiffness of the zoom mechanism. It also has an internal focus system with a minimum focus distance of just 7.88′ as well as focus range limiter switch for faster focusing. Other physical controls and options include multiple customizable focus hold buttons, an AF/MF switch, and a removable and rotatable tripod mount. Additionally, it has a dust- and weather-resistant construction and an eleven-blade circular diaphragm.
- Sharp G Lens Resolution Throughout the Zoom Range
- The FE 200-600mm features outstanding corner-to-corner sharpness throughout the 200-600mm zoom range. To achieve this resolution, it incorporates an aspherical element and five ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements in an improved optical design to minimize chromatic aberrations that can be a problem at super-telephoto focal lengths. In addition, a Nano AR Coating is used to reduce flare and ghosting.
- 200-600mm with Extended Reach
- The FE 200-600mm features a versatile zoom range of 200-600mm with a variable aperture of f/5.6-6.3 (wide to tele). This zoom range can be further extended using optional 1.4x or 2.0x teleconverters that extend the telephoto reach up to a maximum 840mm or 1200mm respectively, while maintaining image quality and AF performance. The zoom and aperture range with the 1.4x teleconverter is 280-840mm, f/8-9, and with the 2.0x teleconverter is 400-1200mm, f/11-13.
- DDSSM Delivers Fast, Precise, and Quiet Autofocus
- The FE 200-600mm employs Sony’s DDSSM (Direct Drive Supersonic Wave Motor) system, which has the power and precision needed to drive the heavy focus group, ensuring that moving subjects are reliably and quietly tracked with speed and precision. High positioning accuracy means that pinpoint autofocus is quickly achieved. The advanced DDSSM system is also very quiet, avoiding any unwanted noise that can disrupt an unpredictable subject like a resting bird or other forms of wildlife.
- Internal Zoom Mechanism
- An internal zoom mechanism means that the length of the lens remains constant while zooming, maintaining an ideal balance for stable shooting. Since the lens zoom mechanism is internal, it also has a high resistance to dust and moisture, unlike other super telephoto lenses that are typically prone to drawing dust and moisture into the lens. The internal zoom offers quick zoom operations with light zoom ring torque and works well in difficult outdoor conditions.
- Eleven-Blade Circular Aperture
- An 11-blade circular aperture mechanism adds to the beauty of the bokeh produced by this lens, making it possible to use the narrow depth of field available at super-telephoto focal lengths to produce images with deep G Lens bokeh.
- ED Glass Reduces Flare and Ghosting
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements take axial chromatic aberration and chromatic aberration caused by differences in magnification out of the picture. The 200-600mm lens incorporates five ED glass elements to maximize resolution and bokeh, while leaving precisely rendered edges with no fringing or unnatural coloration.
- Aspherical Lens Reduces Spherical Aberations
- An aspherical lens is incorporated to reduce spherical aberration while also reducing lens size and weight. Spherical aberration is a slight misalignment of the light rays projected on the image plane. This is caused by differences in refraction at different points on conventional spherical lenses that degrade image quality in large-aperture lenses. Specially shaped “aspherical” elements near the diaphragm restore alignment of light rays at the image plane, maintaining high sharpness and contrast, even at maximum aperture, and can also be used at other points in the optical path to reduce distortion. Well-designed aspherical elements can reduce the total number of elements required in the lens, thus reducing overall size and weight.
- Nano AR Coating
- Sony’s original Nano AR Coating technology minimizes flare and ghosting for a dynamic range that achieves lifelike detail and gradation with advanced camera sensors. The Nano AR Coating is applied to interior lens surfaces to effectively suppress reflections that can lead to flare and ghosting, significantly enhancing image clarity and contrast. This precisely defined regular nano-structure allows accurate light transmission, contributing to high-quality images, even more so than with lenses that use coatings with an irregular nano-structure.
- 3-Mode Built-In Optical SteadyShot
- Built-in Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with three different mode settings allows images to be sharp and in-focus at extended super-telephoto focal lengths. Mode 2 offers ideal stabilization for panned shots, while Mode 3 provides enhanced viewfinder stabilization that allows easier framing of dynamic sports or wildlife movement. 5-axis stabilization is available with compatible Alpha bodies. Mode 3 is supported by the latest a9 software version. Refer to the appropriate support web pages for information on compatibility with other bodies.
- Customizable Focus Hold Buttons
- Customizable focus hold buttons are provided in three locations that are 90° apart for easy, instant access when shooting in any orientation. Once you’ve adjusted focus to where you want it, pressing one of the focus hold button on the lens barrel will keep the lens locked to that focusing distance. The focus hold buttons can also be customized via an in-camera menu, allowing them to be assigned to a different function selected by the user.
- Robust Reliability
- Sony’s lens sealing maximizes resistance to dust and moisture, providing the reliability needed for outdoor use and in challenging environmental conditions as demanded by professional photographers. Additionally, the front lens element features a fluorine coating that helps to prevent dirt and fingerprints from sticking, while making it easier to wipe clean if they do become attached to the lens surface.
- Instant Auto/Manual Focus Selection
- Instantly and quickly switch between auto and manual focus via an AF/MF switch on the side of the lens. This makes operation faster and easier as you let the camera and lens focus for you, or you can decide to take control and manually focus on the precise point you chose.
- Fluorine Front-Element Coating
- The front lens element features a fluorine coating that helps to prevent dirt and fingerprints from sticking, while making it easier to wipe clean if they do become attached to the lens surface.
- Focus Range Limiter
- The focus range limit switch allows a limited focus range to be selected when the fastest possible focusing is required. Three settings are provided: Full, 133-8′ / 10-2.4m, and Infinity-33′ / 10m.
- Linear Response MF
- The focus ring features Linear Response MF for fine, responsive manual focus control. Manual focus changes linearly in response to focus ring rotation, giving you the control immediacy needed for fast, accurate manual focusing.